Navigating Challenges. Driving
News and Events
January 1, 2013 - Denver’s r² Advisors’ Thomas Kim Elected President of Global Turnaround Management Association for 2013
DENVER -- Thomas M. Kim, CTP, managing director and founder of r2 advisors, llc, Denver, began his term as president of the global Turnaround Management Association (TMA) on January 1. Kim takes the helm of TMA after serving on the TMA Executive Board as vice president of membership (2012) and vice president of finance (2011-2010). He also was the president of the TMA Rocky Mountain Chapter from 2004-2005. See the press release here: http://www.turnaround.org/Newsroom/Releases.aspx?objectId=13977
December 2012 - r² advisors llc assists with asset sale for Red Eagle Oil, Inc. Thomas M. Kim, Managing Director of r² advisors llc, served as the Debtor’s Chief Restructuring Advisor and assisted with the sale of Red Eagle Oil, Inc. to Brad Hall & Associates. Red Eagle owned 17 convenience stores in Wyoming and Montana, and operated a fuel transportation business. This sale allowed the business of Red Eagle Oil to continue under the ownership of Brad Hall & Associates and the management of the Hinze family, which founded the company.
- March 2012-Thomas M. Kim was interviewed by Megan McArdle of The Atlantic. He was quoted in the article "Why Companies Fail," which talks about why corporate turnarounds are so difficult and rare. To read the article click here.
- January 2011- Thomas M. Kim is elected to serve his second term in 2011 as VP of Finance for the Turnaround Management Association International.
- June 2010 - Thomas M. Kim is featured as a contributing author in the second edition of Strategic Alternatives for Distressed Businesses published by West Thomson. Click on the following link to view the first two pages of the chapter. Perspectives: Secured Creditors. To order a copy of the book go to : http://west.thomson.com/productdetail/160638/40776636/productdetail.aspx
- January 2010 - Nancy A. Skoe and Thomas M. Kim contributed to the Colorado Society of CPA's publication News Account, "Distress Signals: Advising Companies During Economic Uncertainty."
- October 2009 - Thomas M. Kim - Founder of r2 advisors llc is appointed Vice President of Finance for the Turnaround Management Association. He is one of 13 named to International Board.
- August 2009 - Thomas M. Kim receives Certified Turnaround Professional Designation.
- August 2009- Middle Market Lessons from General Motors' 39 Days in Bankruptcy written by Thomas M. Kim along with co-authors Todd Bearup and Zack Palmer published in the Daily Bankruptcy Review.
June 2009 -published in the Journal of Private Equity, Volume 12, Number 3, Summer 2009.
Mr. Kim outlines his view of the impact of the current economic climate on private equity group (“PEG”) portfolios and their principals. He notes that one often overlooked option available to PEG principals is to retain turnaround professionals to help manage their distressed portfolio companies. Many PEGs will attempt to manage their underperforming companies using internal resources. This will create a significant burden on the PEGs’ resources and potentially lead to greater problems in their portfolio as a whole. Mr. Kim states his case for why PEG managers ought to consider retaining qualified and experienced turnaround managers capable of assisting them with their underperforming portfolio companies. He notes that turnaround managers have experience working with PEGs, understand their challenges and have the skills necessary to provide expert assistance under difficult conditions.